from: Southern Africa | cooking method: boiling-simmering
Akoho sy Voanio (Chicken in Coconut Milk)
The island nation of Madagascar is famous for its amazing animals and beautiful flowers. It should also be well-known for this delicious chicken dish, Akoho sy Voanio (Chicken in Coconut Milk). To serve this dish Malagasy style, it must be served with Rice.
What you need
- one chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- juice of one lemon (optional)
- one teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)
- salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper or red pepper (to taste)
- enough oil for frying (coconut oil if possible)
- two onions, chopped
- two cloves of garlic, minced
- two or three tomatoes, chopped
- two teaspoons ground ginger (or one teaspoon fresh ginger, minced)
- one cup coconut milk (see the note about coconut milk on the Wali wa Nazi recipe page)
What you do
- In a glass dish, marinate the chicken in the lemon juice, lemon rind, salt, and pepper for about an hour.
- Heat oil in dutch oven or any large covered pot. Sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the chicken and continue to cook and stir until the chicken is nearly done. Reduce heat. Add tomatoes and ginger and stir for a few minutes.
- Add coconut milk and simmer over low heat until chicken is fully cooked and sauce is thickened. Stir often. Serve over Rice.
Search this website: